Book Review: My Sister, the Serial Killyer by Oyinkan Braithwaite

If you are expecting a suspenseful thriller, think again. My Sister, the Serial Killer is a book about family and how blood is thicker than water, unless you are an expert cleaner like Korede and this is your third time cleaning the blood of your sister's third boyfriend killed in "self-defense".

★★★★☆

“That’s how it has always been. Ayoola would break a glass, and I would receive the blame for giving her the drink. Ayoola would fail a class, and I would be blamed for not coaching her. Ayoola would take an apple and leave the store without paying for it, and I would be blamed for letting her get hungry.” 

When I first read the title I imagined a plot driven thriller, but the book is actually very character driven and the plot falls on a secondary place. It is a dark story, but somehow funny at the same time without ever getting ridiculous. The humour is subtle and sarcastic. And I loved every minute of it (I listened to the audiobook).

A Love Triangle with a Twist...of the Knife

This is a story about two sisters. Ayoola, the beautiful serial killer and Korede, her big sister, a nurse and Ayoola's personal cleaner after the murders. As you begin reading the book, you are thrown in the middle of their lives and only learn their background and stories as you go. 

Korede has a crush on doctor Tade, but when Ayoola visits her at the hospital, the charming doctor has a crush on Ayoola. And thus the sibling loyalty is put to a test. Is blood really thicker than water?

Minimalism at Its Best

The only way I can describe the writing style: minimalism at its best! Super short chapters, with one word chapter titles, that at the same time are giving you all the details you need, vividly creating the scenes in just a couple of sentences.

Short and concise. This is how I roll! Don't get me wrong, I will always appreciate a nice fluffy prose, almost lyrical in its descriptions. But personally, this is how I write and it's really nice to see that one can write a great book in such a manner. 

What's Not to Like?

It's really easy to read in one go and I really enjoyed that, but it did leave me wanting more!

Plot-wise, it's a little bit over the place, but it doesn't matter, because that's not why we are here. This book should definitely be adapted to a mini-series! The two sisters are made for TV, I am telling you! You do not feel how the time flies in the company of Korede and Ayoola. 

If you are going to read this book, grab some popcorn and get ready for a dark and quirky story that is absolutely addictive!

My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite was first published in July 2017
 Check out my Book Review Index!