It was hard to make my Top Ten this year - and of course this doesn't even take into account the books read in December (except for Saramago, which will be mentioned in this post). I am making it early because a dear friend asked me and - why not? I mean the plan for the rest of December is to read mostly children's books and since I am challenging myself to read 30 books in 31 days (10 down, 20 to go), I will make a post about these books, hopefully, regardless if I win the challenge or not.
That being said, let's see the top (in no particular order):
Similarly to the year before, I am starting with non-fiction. This year I did not read as much non-fiction as I usually tend to do, I read a few memoirs, but in my head I make a clear distinction between memoirs and non-fiction; I also probably did not read as many distinctive non-fiction books worth mentioning, and I do have a bunch of great non-fiction books that I am currently reading, but it will take a while to finish them (not 2021).
I don't usually consider cookbooks for non-fiction or bookish tops in general but I have to talk about my favourite cookbook of the year: À Table: Recipes for Cooking and Eating the French Way by Rebekah Peppler (photographs by Joann Pai). I received this cookbook for review in January this year and... I LOVED IT SO MUCH THAT I PREORDERED THE BOOK! I very rarely preorder books, especially books that I already read for review. But this book is something else - it's gorgeous, the photographs are amazing, the recipes are great, and the tone of the book is fun and casual - I also love how helpful Peppler's tips are when it comes to hosting. Since this book I also got her cocktail book Apéritif: Cocktail Hour the French Way and now I have a huge passion for cocktails. I am following Peppler on instagram (and her friends) and I am living vicariously through her, I am reading all her New York Times articles on cocktails, and pretty much everything she posts. Oh, and she has another book coming out next year I reckon.
Cultish: The Language of Fanaticism by Amanda Montell. This is more than a book on cults, it's not really about cults per se, but more about linguistics. It also talks about cults, naturally, but it's about fitness culture, influencers, and pretty much anything that has a following. Completely fascinating! I am really intrigued by cults and what makes people follow them, and this book sheds light on this subject through the power of words. I really enjoyed it and it's a real page-turner (funny way to say it, since I listened to the audiobook).
In the cute fiction category - or books that feel like hugs, although they are still suspenseful, and even made me anxious at times, but that's because I really got into them and cared for the characters:
The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune is probably my absolute favourite fiction book read this year. It's a peculiar and captivating story about found-family and about love, with a cast of charming characters. It's an unique book that I still find it hard to talk about because my words cannot do it justice. Look, just read it! It's a hug! Here's a few quotes, maybe this helps:
"You're too precious to put into words. I think … it's like one of Theodore's buttons. If you asked him why he cared about them so, he would tell you it’s because they exist at all."
"Humanity is so weird. If we're not laughing, we're crying or running for our lives because monsters are trying to eat us. And they don’t even have to be real monsters. They could be the ones we make up in our heads. Don’t you think that’s weird?"
"We should always make time for the things we like. If we don't, we might forget how to be happy."
And another lovely book about enjoying the small things and learning what it means to be human: The Humans by Matt Haig. Couldn't have made this top without Matt Haig, and I also recommend The Midnight Library, but it's a Top Ten and I decided to go with the first fiction book by Haig read this year. I wrote more about The Humans here.
Moving into science fiction territory:
I finally started the Southern Reach series and although I was sure I'd finish this year, I still have the third book to read, but that's okay. Because this was supposed to be a trilogy and a fourth book is being written. Anyway, this is about Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer, the first book in the series (the second book is different, I am still waiting to see how things wrap up in the third book and maybe my opinion on the second book will change). I first saw the film, and although the two are quite different, I feel like all the changes were perfect for their medium. This book is hard to describe, it's eerie, atmospheric, peculiar, fascinating. But I am sure it will not be everyone's cup of tea.
Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. Still staying in the real of speculative fiction, this is a short story collection where Chiang explores religion, time, linguistics, and even math. The film Arrival is made after one of his stories presented in this collection - and it's just as amazing! His stories are the kind of stories that stay with you for a long time after you read them, just like Annihilation.
Earthlings by Sayaka Murata. Murata was in my top last year too, with her novel Convenience Store Woman. And here she is again, with yet another uncomfortable story, actually quite disturbing this time, but just as intriguing and fascinating. Earthlings deals with themes of abuse, societal pressure (a common theme in Murata's writing) and survival. This is a critique on the society told through a dark fairy tale. And things get darker and darker (don't get fooled by the cute cover).
The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis. I read it after I saw the TV series adaptation and they followed the book almost word by word! There are a few tiny differences, but I am not mad about them, and actually they were great changes and make more sense for TV. Highly recommended, just as addictive as the TV series!
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. This is the kind of book that bookish people only either loved or hated - there is no middle ground. I, obviously, loved it! I cried! I was mesmerized! I couldn't put it down! If I go into it and dissect it, will I find flaws? Of course, but I don't want to do that because I loved the experience of reading it. It's one of those books I cannot really talk about and tell you what it is about - you just have to read it and you either will love it or hate it.
And lastly, my most read category: thriller and crime novels!
Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell. This is the book that started my love affair with Lisa Jewell and I think I read one of her books every month (or at least every other month). Most of her books are instant 5 stars for me because her characters are so natural and I always empathize with them, even if they might be the perpetrator sometimes. Jewell really shows us that humans are complex, not just good or just evil. Her books are character driven modern thrillers, the focus is not so much on the crime (if there even is a crime), but on how the humans involved react and what they think and feel. It's told trough multiple POVs and she loves to mess up with your expectations! I love it! I also recommend you The Family Upstairs, which I read in one day and it will get a sequel next year (I reckon). I Found You is a great one too, I could barely breathe while reading it because I was living the story and wishing so hard for some things in the book. I was there! I reviewed The House We Grew Up In on the blog, although this one is not a thriller, but it's still suspensful.
And I cannot have a top with the queen on it: Three Act Tragedy by Agatha Christie. I read more books by Christie this year, but this one was absolutely delightful. It's also cute how the crime is investigated by three other characters, but Poirot is the one that actually solves the puzzle.
Did you count 11 books? Shhh, don't tell anyone. I mean the first book is a cookbook so it doesn't really count, right? It's a TOP TEN + THE BEST COOKBOOK, okay?
And now, for the honourable mentions:
Starting with the picture books and graphic novels that I really enjoyed this year:
Tales of the Mist by Laura Suárez is a gorgeous graphic novel collection of horror stories. It's creepy and eerie, accompanied by a gorgeous black and white art style.
The Grumpy Fairies by Bethan Stevens is one of my favourite picture books read this year. I was literally laughing out loud. The illustrations are gorgeous too!
The Night Walk by Marie Dorléans is just stunning. Another picture book - most of the pages from this book can be framed and put on the wall!
A honourable mention to José Saramago as well, and his two novels Blindness and Seeing, part of the same universe. Somehow he managed to be even more disturbing than Sayaka Murata this year - I mean in Murata's novel we have a few scenes that are disturbing, but Saramago's stories are overall uncomfortable and they make you confront your own ideas about humans' nature.
I also read two very nice memoirs that I want to mention:
Becoming by Michelle Obama, which reads so easily - she just has a great way to write about her life without being boring. She is relatable and I loved seeing how different she and her husband are.
In Order to Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom by Yeonmi Park, with Maryanne Vollers. I read it in one day or so. It's breathtaking - and if you are from a Eastern European country, and have grandparents in the countryside, then some things might remind you of your childhood, or it will be familiar with the tells your grandparents or parents told you about communism.
Last, but not least - let's end with some more fiction:
The Epic of Gilgamesh. This book is old and it's bloody amazing! It's also not that epic in length, so you can read it in a couple of hours or so (depending on your reading speed). And it's no bromance there! My dudes are in love and you cannot convince me otherwise!
Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. I reviewed it on the blog already, but I had fun reading it so it deserves an extra mention here.
And finally, The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale #2) by Margaret Atwood, also already reviewed on the blog.
I still cannot believe I was able to make a top ten - it felt impossible when I looked through all the books read this year. Hope you can find something you want to read!